Along with our The process of adapting a piece of music for a different ensemble, style, or performance context. services, we offer production services for online music recording sessions.
The Remote Recording Process
- We create the refers to the structure and order of musical elements in a composition, such as melody, harmony, rhythm, and instrumentation. and deliver a Playback file from notation software that isn't considered a finished mix; a preliminary mix showing the structure and elements of the arrangement for approval. for approval
- We begin the production process, bringing the arrangement into music production software for initial 1. Collection of individual tracks or parts 2. The process of adjusting relative sound levels, processing and placement within a sonic realm 3. The result of sonic recording and processing and export
- We find talent to fit the project, either from our own contacts or from one of many online recording talent marketplaces
- We send the tracks to the artist, give them Instructions for an arranger or composer indicating style, instrumentation, mood, and purpose, and pay them for their work on approval
- Import their tracks, then do the mix and 1. Intellectual property consisting of a sound recording 2. The process of optimizing a mix through further signal processing to adjust presence, timbre, loudness, and tone.
We offer collaboration in the mix process via Zoom videoconferencing, enabling real-time collaboration on the mix, if desired.
In some cases, remote artists will offer real-time supervision during their recording, although it’s much more usual for them to work independently on their own time to come up with their best work. and are usually very accommodating when it comes to revisions when needed.
Handling Copyright Issues in Remote Recording
Songwriter demos are usually released under the name of the songwriter, with the singer hired as a work-for-hire artist.
Some artists offer video recording of their performance as a supplemental service, which makes sense if the singer is releasing the project under their own name.
In order for a songwriter to Following the building of tension, arrival at a resolution. In England, is synonymous with "bridge" a song under the name of the artist singing it, they need to act as a record label with the artist under contract for a buyout or a revenue share agreement.
All of our services are offered as work-for-hire. We will not make any copyright claim after delivery.
Funding an Online Recording Project
We bill directly for our services.
Artists may bill differently. On many online marketplaces, the site is designed so the person managing the project pays the artist, with funds held in escrow until the project is approved. Since we’re managing the production, we will bill you for the work and pay them from here to fund the escrow before they perform.
Some of our independent artist connections can be paid directly by you.
We can help manage agreements or contracts with artists, but the ultimate responsibility for payment and agreements rests with you, the customer.
Fees for Remote Recording Production
It starts with the arrangement and mockup –
- We quote the arrangement and mockup cost, requiring a 50% deposit to schedule the work.
- On approval of the arrangement mockup, we move into the production phase. You can get an estimate of our arranging fees here.
- Our fees for this phase include the arranging quote, with an additional Production Session setup fee of $75.
- From our arrangement A protocol for communicating musical information, such as notes and control signals, between electronic musical instruments and computers. data, we create an orchestrated production session and initial mix in a Digital Audio Workstation. Some are: Ableton Live, FL Studio, Logic Pro X, Cubase, Pro Tools, Studio One, Reason, Reaper, Digital Performer, Bitwig Studio, Samplitude Pro X, GarageBand (Mac), Cakewalk by BandLab, Presonus Studio One, Tracktion Waveform using virtual instruments.
- We bill the balance on approval of the production session mockup, when the tracks are ready to go out.
- When the singer and/or other musicians are hired, we send out session files or elements to them to set up their own session in their studio, and then deliver tracks.
- Revisions at this phase may be needed, which we manage with the remote talent based on your feedback or requests.
- We track these production services time on a spreadsheet and bill our hourly rate, pro-rated to the minute @$1.25 per.